"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Saturday, February 19, 2022

I am From...

                                            
                                                               Photo credit: Johannes Plenio, via Pexels

...a little town in the mountains of Southern California. I carry with me a nostalgia for quiet streets, neighbors who feel like family, and snow on Christmas Eve.

My childhood was made of climbing trees, building forts in vacant lots, snowball fights, bike rides all over the neighborhood, and stories in front of the fireplace.

I left that small town, but carry the best of it within me.

I am from...

...parents who taught me the importance of keeping my word, to believe in myself, and that kindness matters.

Throughout my life, I've called upon the lessons they taught me. I haven't always acted as they would want me to, but I've built upon their foundation as I slowly figure out who I am and who I want to be.

I am from...

...grandparents who were total bad-asses. My grandmother held her family together when Germany occupied Belgium and she, my grandfather, and my little six-year-old mommy moved into their cellar. Each time my grandfather left, she didn't know if he'd come back. Yet she made living in the cellar as normal as possible for my mother.

Near the end of the war, my grandfather was captured by German soldiers, and on his way to being worked to death in a German factory. With steely resolve and ice water in his veins, he saw one chance to escape, took it, and lived to tell.

I am from...

...the combination of my genetic material, behaviors that were modeled, and a drive to live up to what came before.

No comments:

Post a Comment