"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Friday, August 12, 2016

Attack of the Acronym

I've been submitting state applications at a pretty steady pace for the past two months, and I feel like I finally have it down. There's a learning curve just like anything else, of course, and a few friends have given me some very helpful advice, but it's really been like having to learn a whole new language, between the government-speak of the job descriptions and duty statements, not to mention the alphabet soup of SSAs, SSMs, AGPAs, SOQs and KSAs... OMFG...

It occurred to me that being frustrated at what seemed to be willful obfuscation was getting me nowhere fast. I needed to adjust my mindset and look at the process like a puzzle, a cryptic code to be cracked. I was, after all, dealing with words. So the game took on a new pattern: search the job listings, read the descriptions to find what looked like it might be a good fit, tweak the application and résumé to align with the duty statement and submit. And repeat. And repeat again. Each time I run down the checklist and think, this one is ready to go, and hit submit or drop an application package into the mail, I experience a sense of satisfaction that has nothing to do with the fact that my efforts may eventually land me my next gig. It's about solving the puzzle. It's about persevering and figuring it out. But I don't think I can add "state-speak" to my skill set under Additional Languages...

No comments:

Post a Comment