"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Sunday, October 26, 2014

Once, Therefore Always a Bookseller



This year's Northern California Independent Booksellers Association (NCIBA) trade show took place Thursday and Friday of last week. I was once again able to attend, thanks to a dear friend at Penguin Random House. I've attempted to explain to a few non-book people why it's so important to me to go to a trade show for an industry of which I'm no longer a part. The simple answer is that I want to see the people I used to work with and be in a room full of books.

The more complex answer has to do with being part of the community of booksellers. Humans naturally seek out other humans they like to be around to form tribes, and I knew I'd found mine less than a month into working at a bookstore. Perhaps people in every industry feel this way, but it seems to me that booksellers are the most consistently warm, funny, intelligent, articulate and just generally good-natured people I've ever encountered. I still marvel at the fact that I used to get paid to sit and talk books with the folks I saw on Friday. It was my job to listen to them tell me about the books that would be published in the upcoming season and decide how many to buy for my stores. That I've been able to stay connected with them (and that they still consider me part of the gang) means the world to me and proves there are friends who can't really be separated by time and distance.

I often tell my current boss that bookselling is a noble profession. I say that (mostly) tongue in cheek, and generally as a response to his telling me that the beauty industry is based on vanity, hope and fear. But it's true...and also true that being a bookseller isn't just something that one does, it's something that one is. A friend from my bookstore days is fond of saying that she was once, therefore is always, a bookseller. She's right. No matter what else we end up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment