"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Sunday, November 22, 2020

Please Mr. Postman – Putting Pen to Paper to Keep in Touch

 

                                            Photo credit: Pixabay, via Pexels

We've all had to adjust our social habits and find new ways of keeping in touch with friends and family this year. And as winter approaches and it's becoming clear that normal is still off the table and the pandemic is going to continue to dictate our behavior through the last few weeks of the year, staying in touch is even more important.

Back in the spring, about a month or so into the shelter-in-place order, I bought some vintage-design postcards, thinking it would be fun to send them to friends as an alternative to a social media ping. (It also became a way to support the post office, but that's another story). It was an enjoyable distraction while I got used to working from home and began to realize just how different this year would be.

An interesting thing happened the more postcards I sent. I stopped thinking of them as an analog answer to a Facebook post, and started thinking about crafting an actual message within the tiny space provided on one half of a postcard. Mark Twain is credited with saying he didn't have time to write a short letter so he wrote a long one. I get that, and I like it. The less space you have, the more important each word becomes. And physically writing a message feels so much more personal than typing a few words on a screen.

So I'm going to keep at it. If you'd like to hear from me this way, text or PM me your address. I'll put pen to paper and let you know what's going on with me. Maybe some of you will even write back.

No comments:

Post a Comment