"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Wednesday, December 2, 2020

For the Record

 



Like most voracious readers, I've devoured my share of books this year. I got antsy like everyone, as the lockdown continued, but I have to admit my social calendar didn't change all that much. Like any introvert, when staying home with a good book is the right thing to do, I'll call it a win.

I did notice my innate reflex was to reach for entertaining fiction almost exclusively, as I haven't had the attention span or energy for anything much heavier. So I was delighted to find not only a fourth, but a fifth volume in a series by British author, Andrew Cartmel, who pens novels featuring a self-described vinyl detective. Besides being well-written, the books check several boxes for me: they're fun and clever, set in England, and feature music and cat lovers.

I'm often of two minds when I'm reading fiction that really captivates. I want to drink it all in and enjoy, but I also want to study and analyze everything from the style to the characters. How do you do all of that so well?! I'm especially interested in how authors keep recurring characters fresh and interesting over the course of several books. One of the best, in my opinion, is Robert Crais, who has now written eighteen novels featuring his signature characters, Elvis Cole and Joe Pike.

Granted Mr. Cartmel had an advantage with me from the beginning, as his vinyl detective could theoretically be any number of guys I worked with at Tower. But beyond that, Cartmel has created a compelling, likeable character, and other than his hobby-turned-occupation of finding rare records, and a business card reading, "Vinyl Detective," we know very little about him. Music and cat lover, coffee snob...and that's about it. We don't know what he looks like, or even his name. But as readers discover the colorful characters who hang out with our detective, and the adventures that ensue, they'll also discover storytelling at its finest. Cartmel and his nameless detective are in the groove...

No comments:

Post a Comment