"Writing is easy. All you have to do is cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain


Thursday, December 24, 2020

A New Year’s Restart

 


Jokes about rebooting aside, it does feel as though we need a great restart after the end of this exceedingly long, exhausting year. And while I don't expect to begin 2021 with any less snarkiness (sorry—not sorry), there are some things I'd like to leave behind, like worrying about that which is completely out of my control and the heavy weariness that came with fearing the unknown.

I'm not in the habit of making New Year's resolutions, but I do think about setting intentions, so I'll consider this a mental reset and focus on what was good about this year, and what I'd like to do more of in 2021.

Write more letters

What started with buying stamps to support the Post Office turned into sending postcards and writing actual letters, reconnecting with old friends, and rediscovering the simple joy of putting pen to paper.

Go for more walks

I was in the habit of walking with friends at work, but after my office closed and I started working at home, I remembered how nice it is just to walk around my neighborhood or take an evening stroll by the river.

Plan for a brighter future

It was far too easy to focus on what we couldn't do this year, and how much we missed out on. I once worked with a woman who used to say that hunger is the best sauce. Anticipation can indeed be delicious, so I'll focus on how great it will be to see my extended family (and meet my new great nieces!), visit with friends, and see live music. 

So the answer to the query, "have you tried turning it off and on again?" is not yet, but I'm about to.

No comments:

Post a Comment